Translation

Unattended candles at center of dorm fire

title

By Lisa Braxton

Twelve students had to be relocated from their USC dorm after a late-night mattress fire on Sunday. According to NBC Los Angeles, the fire, quickly put out by the Los Angeles Fire Department, caused $2,500 in damage, more than half to the structure itself. About 60 people had to evacuate. No one was injured.

Fire investigators determined that candles that were briefly left unattended caused the fire. Fire sprinklers held the smoky fire in check before 20 firefighters put out the fire entirely.

NFPA’s College Campus Fire Safety tips sheet advises burning candles only if they’re permitted by the school, placing them away from anything that can burn and never leaving a candle unattended. The Candle Safety tips sheet reminds us of the option of flameless candles that look and smell like real candles.

According to NBC Los Angeles, students said the dorm fire sent a strong message and that they would start taking the rule against candle use in the dorms seriously.

Related articles

If not for sprinkler system Minnesota fire could have been much worse
Thousands learn of the dangers of sky lanterns
In April’s issue of Safety Source: new Shabbat fire safety tip sheet, carbon monoxide educational resources & more

Source:: NFPA – Safety Information


Related Articles

How did a home fire 25 years ago shape burn survivor Princella Lee Bridges? Find out during interactive, online chat

By nfpa@jiveon.com Quickly exiting her home after discovering a fire, Princella Lee Bridges frantically reentered it after assuming her daughter…

Sparky reminds kids of all ages about safety during the holidays

By Lisa Braxton The holidays are a time for families and friends to come together. But that also means there’s…

NFPA prohibits the use of sky lanterns

By Lisa Braxton For centuries, in many parts of the world, sky lanterns have been launched for play or as…