Translation

Texas fire officials focus on space heater as cause of house fire

title

By Lisa Braxton

Two brothers are recovering from burn injuries after a fire at their home this week, which fire officials say originated by a space heater. The fire occurred in the Huntsville, Texas, area. According to The Huntsville Item, one brother suffered severe burns to his upper body as well as smoke inhalation. The other brother reported that he woke up to a fire near a portable space heater plugged into an extension cord. He was able to crawl out of a window and suffered minor burns and cuts. Fire investigators report that the home had no working smoke alarms.

  • Space heaters should be plugged directly into a wall outlet and never into an extention cord or power strip.
  • Turn heaters off or when you leave the room.
  • Have a three-foot safety zone around open fires and space heaters.

More space heater safety tips are available on the NFPA website.

Source:: NFPA – Safety Information


Related Articles

Fire Prevention Week materials offer unique ways to address audiences

By nfpa@jiveon.com The evening of May 25, 2016, was a special time for me. It was when I pulled out…

Key sprinkler advocate reappointed to Massachusetts building board

By Fred Durso, Jr. There’s a push in Massachusetts to preserve and strengthen the state’s sprinkler requirements, and advocates there…

August issue of Safety Source includes Fire Prevention Week news and details on delivery of Domino’s pizza along with fire safety messaging

By nfpa@jiveon.com The August issue of Safety Source, NFPA’s public education newsletter, is now available. In this issue you will…