Stubborn fire at marketplace linked to smoking materials


By Lisa Braxton

One of my favorite gourmet shops had a fire recently. According to the Weymouth News, Previte’s Marketplace in East Weymouth, Massachusetts, sustained more than $25,000 in damage. Officials say the stubborn fire was caused by careless disposal of smoking materials that ignited the mulch bed near the entrance. The fire spread from the dry mulch into a wall of the business beneath the siding. There were no reports of injuries.

NFPA’s Smoking and Home Fire Safety tip sheet reminds us not to discard cigarettes in vegetation, such as mulch, potted plants or landscaping, peat moss, dried grass, leaves, or other things that could easily ignite.

Safe disposal of cigarettes and other smoking materials is important. Smoking materials are the leading cause of home fire deaths. Before butts and ashes are thrown away, they should be doused in water or sand. More smoking safety information is available on the NFPA website.

Related articles

A wedding ceremony goes up in flames

NFPA provides new safety tip sheets en Espanol!

Read the August issue of Fire Break – NFPA’s wildland fire newsletter

In the new NFPA Journal, “In Compliance” looks at emergency messages in large assembly occupancies

Source:: NFPA – Safety Information

Michael S. Williams

Michael S. Williams

Williams founded the Fire Services Training Institute in 1995 to find solutions to the challenges confronting the volunteer fire service. He has been an active member of California State Firefighters Association (CSFA) since 1994, having served on the volunteer and public relations committees, and as a southern division deputy director. He sits on several local organizations including the Santa Barbara County Fire Safe Council, the Tri-Counties Training Officers Association, Santa Barbara Chapter of CAER and is a founding member of the Santa Barbara PIO group Emergency Public Information Communicators (EPIC). He has been the author of many articles and a columnist for a local newspaper on public safety matters. He is also the co-host of Community Alert on KZSB AM-1290 in Santa Barbara. Williams has been a member of the California State Board of Fire Services since 2008. Prior to becoming involved in the volunteer fire service, Williams was a California police officer for 12 ½ years and a POST certified Field Training Officer. He is a licensed private investigator and security consultant specializing in self-insured, government and insurance defense assignments.

Related Articles

Fire service works with Habitat for Humanity to sprinkler 150 homes

By Fred Durso, Jr. Orange County, North Carolina, celebrated its 150th fire sprinkler installation inside a Habitat for Humanity home…

Celebrate Older Americans Month with Remembering When

By May is Older Americans Month. As we celebrate this time set aside for honoring older Americans and their…