Smoking materials fire displaces 22 in New York State

by FSTI | May 29, 2015 10:55 am

By Lisa Braxton

Ten adults and 11 children were displaced from their homes earlier this week after an apartment building caught fire in Auburn, New York. The Auburn Citizen reported that the fire was started by smoking materials, which caught fire in a trash can.

Fire officials noted that smoke alarms in one of the units were disabled because the batteries had been removed. The smoke alarm of a neighbor did sound, alerting people to get out.

According to NFPA statistics:

Smoke Alarm Central on the NFPA website includes statistics, tips on installing smoke alarms, videos, and the Smoke Alarm Safety Tips sheet in English and Spanish. In addition, the smoke alarm community toolkit and the guide, Planning and implementing a Successful Smoke Alarm Installation Program offer fire and life safety educators tools for launching installation programs and public awareness campaigns.

Related articles

Smoking blamed for displacing dozens of residents in neighboring Massachusetts communities
Early Morning Cooking Fire Displaces Family
Extension cord fire leaves two dead

Source:: NFPA – Safety Information[1]

Endnotes:
  1. NFPA – Safety Information: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/nfpapubliceducation/~3/aqQsvtVpyiI/smoking-materials-fire-displaces-22-in-new-york-state.html

Source URL: https://www.cafsti.org/news/industry-news/smoking-materials-fire-displaces-22-in-new-york-state/