Translation

Smoke alarms were central to homeowner’s safe escape

title

By Lisa Braxton

A homeowner and several pets were able to escape a fire that ripped through a home in Tulsa, Oklahoma, last week. According to Tulsa World, the blaze occurred in the morning.

Fire officials say the fire began in the living room of the single-story home before spreading.

Smoke alarms alerted the homeowner, and he and several dogs and cats were able to escape without injury.

Fire investigators at the scene said an overturned kerosene lamp ignited the fire.

This year’s Fire Prevention Week campaign, “Hear the Beep Where You Sleep. Every Bedroom Needs a Working Smoke Alarm,” reminds us that half of home fire deaths result from fires reported between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m. when most people are asleep and that it is essential to have working smoke alarms in every bedroom, outside each separate sleeping area and on every level of the home, including the basement.

In addition to FPW materials, NFPA’s Smoke Alarm Central, as well as the community toolkit on smoke alarm safety provide resources the fire service can use when conducting safety presentations to the public.

Related articles

Practice makes a difference when fire strikes home of fire safety educator

Source:: NFPA – Safety Information


Related Articles

Ignoring the sound of the carbon monoxide alarm put an Indiana family in the hospital

By nfpa@jiveon.com An Indiana family is recovering after suffering carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning in their home over the weekend. According…

Hosting public education events during Fire Prevention Week? Use these free resources promoting home fire sprinklers

By nfpa@jiveon.com During Fire Prevention Week (FPW), the Downers Grove Fire Department is hosting a “night at the firehouse” to…

New Sesame Street Fire Safety Program for preschool children

The U.S. Fire Administration and Sesame Workshop today released a new version of the Sesame Street Fire Safety Program for…