Translation

Smoke alarms play critical role during attic fire

title

By Lisa Braxton

If a two-story house in Weymouth, Massachusetts, had not had working smoke alarms, the outcome of a recent fire could have been far different. Smoke alarms alerted the people living in the home to a fire in the attic. Everyone was able to escape safely.

According to the Weymouth News, the fire department got the 911 call at about 4 in the morning. Fire crews located the fire in the walls and ceiling of the attic. The blaze appears to have been caused by faulty electrical work.

Fire officials say the blaze is a reminder about the importance of checking smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms regularly.

NFPA provides community toolkits on smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms that public educators can use to help them conduct successful community education campaigns.

In addition, Smoke Alarm Central is a complete source of smoke alarm information. The carbon monoxide safety page provides facts, figures, reports and safety tips regarding what has been called the invisible killer.

Related articles

Door-to-door campaign reveals lack of smoke alarms in South Carolina community
NFPA provides new safety tip sheets en Espanol!

Source:: NFPA – Safety Information


Related Articles

NFPA announces 2016 Fire and Life Safety Educator of the Year Award winner

By Lisa Braxton NFPA has selected Sherrie Leeka, Public Education Officer for the Westminster Fire Department, Westminster, CO, the 2016…

Toronto public educator is named NFPA 2018 Fire and Life Safety Educator of the Year

By nfpa@jiveon.com Denise Hynes, public educator for Toronto Fire Services, has been named the 2018 Fire and Life Safety Educator…

State approves new building and fire codes but strips them of key safety requirements

By nfpa@jiveon.com The legislative Regulation Review Committee in Connecticut has formally approved new safety codes, including a State Building Code,…