Translation

Smoke alarms credited with saving an Iowa child

title

By Lisa Braxton

Smoke alarms likely helped save the life of an 8-year-old girl in Camanche, Iowa. According to KWQC-TV6, Alysia Schomer wanted to stay home on a recent Saturday while the rest of her family went a few blocks away to a parade in town. During a nap she woke up to the sound of a smoke alarm. There was a fire on the kitchen stove and the room had filled with smoke. Alysia says she got out right away and then found help.

“I saw the fire trucks in front of my house and I just couldn’t get here fast enough,” said her mother, Kristie Schomer.

According to the Camanche Fire Department, the smoke alarms in the family’s home were installed a few years ago as part of a fire department program.

“We’ve had smoke alarms save numerous lives but it’s the first time we can actually document that, yes, this is a residence that actually participated in our program,” said Camanche Fire Chief Dave Schutte.

Over the last few years firefighters have installed several hundred smoke alarms in town. NFPA’s Smoke Alarm Central is a complete source of smoke alarm information. The smoke alarm installation guide is an excellent resource for fire departments looking to launch an installation program. In addition, the smoke alarm community toolkit includes everything needed to motivate residents to install and maintain smoke alarms.

It’s believed the fire started when the family dog tried to go after a pizza box on top of the stove, accidentally turning on a burner.

Related articles

“Get Alarmed” campaign in Tuscaloosa is still going strong

Source:: NFPA – Safety Information


Related Articles

NFPA, fire service react to false claims made by Maryland media on home fire sprinklers

By Fred Durso, Jr. Maryland’s news outlets have been producing stories with a slanted view on home fire sprinklers, prompting…

Leave fireworks to the professionals

Independence Day and fireworks go hand in hand, but fireworks shouldn’t go in consumers’ hands. That’s the message the National…

Congratulations to the Kirkville Fire Company for winning our Fire Prevention Week photo contest!

By nfpa@jiveon.com Congratulations to the Kirkville Fire Company, a volunteer fire department in Kirkville, NY – they’re the winners of…