Translation

Safety is on the menu for upcoming Easter dinner

title

By Lisa Braxton

It’s a longstanding tradition. The women in my family spend the day before Easter in the kitchen preparing a feast to be enjoyed after church service the next day. My mother prepares the glazed ham and vegetables. My aunt and cousins make corn pudding, macaroni and cheese, deviled eggs and corn bread.

I pull out my favorite Bundt pan–the one shaped like a flower blossom–and bake a lemon buttermilk cake lightly dusted with sugar.

As my relatives and I make use of our ovens, stovetops, and microwave ovens next weekend, it’ll be important for us to use care. Anytime a meal is at the center of a family gathering is a great time to review NFPA’s cooking safety information. Cooking fires are the number one cause of home fires and home injuries.

The cooking safety tips sheet includes a list of precautions.

  • Stay in the kitchen while frying, grilling, boiling or broiling and to turn off the stove if you leave the kitchen even for a short period of time.
  • If you are simmering, baking, or roasting food, check it regularly, remain in the home while food is cooking and use a timer to remind you that you are cooking.
  • Keep anything that can catch fire away from the stovetop.

These are ingredients for a relaxing and safe family gathering.

Related articles

Considering grilling safety in high risk wildfire areas

Source:: NFPA – Safety Information


Related Articles

Community’s extensive study and advocacy for home fire sprinklers leads to major victory

By Fred Durso, Jr. Fire safety advocates in Florida are reaping the fruits of their labor following a well-thought-out push…

House fire claims 11 year old, injures firefighter in a state trying to reverse home fire horrors

By Fred Durso, Jr. “I was shocked, stunned you know, especially hearing screams that I’ve never heard in my life.…

Missouri fire department and health organization celebrate Fire Prevention Week in a big way

By nfpa@jiveon.com The Kirksville Fire Department in Kirksville, Missouri, along with the Northeast Missouri Health Council wanted to make sure…