Poison Prevention Week: A good time to focus on carbon monoxide the Invisible Killer

title

By Kelly Ransdell

According to the Centers for Disease Control, over 20,000 Americans visit an emergency room each year due to carbon monoxide poisoning. With National Poison Prevention Week, March 20-26, 2016 -it is a great time to focus on awareness of common poisons. Carbon monoxide is created when fossil fuels, do not burn completely. CO gas can kill people and pets. To protect yourself, install and maintain carbon monoxide alarms inside your home and install outside each separate sleeping area, on every level of the home.

Here are a few things to consider in your household:

  • Many people are unaware of the dangers of portable generators. Generators should be outdoors in well ventilated areas away from the home. The Consumer Product Safety Commission has tons of generator safety materials in the Safety Center.
  • If you have an attached garage makes sure to remove vehicles right after starting and never run a vehicle in a garage even with the door open.
  • With the spring coming, always use barbeque grills outside, away from all doors, windows, vents and other opening.

Your safety is so important this week and every week. Take steps to protect your family from CO hazards. To access free resources click on the Carbon Monoxide Community Toolkit.

Source:: NFPA – Safety Information


Related Articles

Tip sheet offers simple action steps for entertaining and decorating to help reduce risk of fires this holiday season

By nfpa@jiveon.com With Thanksgiving kicking off the holiday season, we now find ourselves in the throes of decorating, cooking and…

Fire marshal named advocate of the year for spearheading fire sprinkler ordinance

By nfpa@jiveon.com Fire Marshal Randy Miller (second from right) stopped by NFPA’s booth during AFSA’s convention in Las Vegas. From…

Anti-sprinkler sentiment fuels fire officials’ promotion of these life-saving devices

By Fred Durso, Jr. Tom Lia (left), at the scene of a sprinklered home with homeowner/fire inspector Dennis Randolph and…