Translation

Maryland man says carbon monoxide alarm saved his life

title

By Lisa Braxton

Don Anderson of Marion, North Carolina, was taking a nap on a recent day when his combination smoke-carbon monoxide alarm sounded. “The beeping woke me up,” he said. He called the fire department and fire inspector Kevin Owenby said he smelled an odor as he walked into the house. The other firefighter on the scene started having headaches after they got Anderson out of the home.

According to a news report, all three of them tested positive for elevated levels of carbon monoxide. Anderson said that he since learned that the gas logs he’d been using to heat his home were broken.

NFPA’s community toolkit on carbon monoxide alarms, co-sponsored with the Consumer Product Safety Commission, provides everything public educators need to motivate residents to install and maintain carbon monoxide alarms: safety tips sheets, in English and Spanish, easy to read handouts in multiple languages, talking points, a mini-lesson, and community outreach ideas.

Related articles

NFPA provides new safety tip sheets en Espanol!
NFPA’s safety tips sheets now include a personal touch
New 10-minute mini lesson on carbon monoxide safety gets you ready for your next presentation
As the weather changes firefighters remind residents about heating safety
Door-to-door campaign reveals lack of smoke alarms in South Carolina community

Source:: NFPA – Safety Information


Related Articles

Can you name the five top causes of home fires?

By nfpa@jiveon.com The following post was written by Marty Ahrens, NFPA’s senior manager of data strategy and analytics: It may…

Hoverboard is linked to Pennsylvania fire that killed toddler, firefighter dies while responding to the blaze

By nfpa@jiveon.com A multiple-alarm fire broke out in a home in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, on Friday, killing a toddler. According to…

Home fire sprinkler advocates nationwide honored for their efforts

By nfpa@jiveon.com Cindy Giedraitis (left), regional manager with the National Fire Sprinkler Association, joined Texas State Fire Marshal Chris Connealy…