Translation

Maryland man says carbon monoxide alarm saved his life

title

By Lisa Braxton

Don Anderson of Marion, North Carolina, was taking a nap on a recent day when his combination smoke-carbon monoxide alarm sounded. “The beeping woke me up,” he said. He called the fire department and fire inspector Kevin Owenby said he smelled an odor as he walked into the house. The other firefighter on the scene started having headaches after they got Anderson out of the home.

According to a news report, all three of them tested positive for elevated levels of carbon monoxide. Anderson said that he since learned that the gas logs he’d been using to heat his home were broken.

NFPA’s community toolkit on carbon monoxide alarms, co-sponsored with the Consumer Product Safety Commission, provides everything public educators need to motivate residents to install and maintain carbon monoxide alarms: safety tips sheets, in English and Spanish, easy to read handouts in multiple languages, talking points, a mini-lesson, and community outreach ideas.

Related articles

NFPA provides new safety tip sheets en Espanol!
NFPA’s safety tips sheets now include a personal touch
New 10-minute mini lesson on carbon monoxide safety gets you ready for your next presentation
As the weather changes firefighters remind residents about heating safety
Door-to-door campaign reveals lack of smoke alarms in South Carolina community

Source:: NFPA – Safety Information


Related Articles

NFPA’s Fire Sprinkler Initiative releases new, customizable presentation on home fire sprinklers

By nfpa@jiveon.com Responding to requests from our advocates, NFPA’s Fire Sprinkler Initiative has developed a customizable, PowerPoint presentation aimed at…

Sparky’s Perfect Plastic Pencil Pouch is a fun activity that gets your kids ready for school

By Lauren Backstrom Sparky the Fire Dog’s new Cool-to-Do activity has been posted to sparky.org! It’s August, and that means…

My discovery of a Fire Prevention Week time capsule

By Meredith Hawes Several years ago, my husband and I traveled through time without leaving our home. We had purchased…