Translation

Maryland house fire claiming grandparents and four children brings sprinklers to the forefront

By Fred Durso, Jr. An electrical failure exacerbated by a dried-out Christmas tree was the likely culprit for a house fire on January 19 that reached untenable conditions, killing two grandparents and four children ranging in age from six to eight years old. The Washington Post reports that a faulty electrical outlet supplying power to lights on the 15-foot tree likely sparked the blaze in the home. “This fire was the result of a tragic accident that occurred at the absolutely worst possible time: while [Don and Sandra Pyle] and their grandchildren were sleeping,” Bill McMullan, who heads the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms,…

Source:: NFPA – Fire Sprinkler Initiative


Related Articles

Here’s a place where the Fire Prevention Week theme is hard to miss

By Lisa Braxton For many of us, when we leave the office on a Friday afternoon we can’t wait to…

Disaster-ready homes equipped with sprinklers underscored at recent builders’ show

By Fred Durso, Jr. Amid the number of products displayed at the recent International Builders’ Show in Las Vegas, a…

Kindergarten student helps his family safely escape home fire after learning NFPA’s Learn Not to Burn program

By Susan McKelvey Hayden Sather, 6, with Grande Prairie Fire Prevention Officer Trevor Schwabe, who’d taught the Learn Not to…