Translation

How Operation-Save-a-Life, Saves Lives

title

By Meredith Hawes

About 3,000 lives continue to be lost each year to fire in the U.S., and the majority of those deaths occur in homes, where people feel they are the safest. More than one-third (37%) of U.S. home fire deaths happen in homes where there are no working smoke alarms, or no smoke alarms at all.

Recently an event was held to target this very issue, and it marked the 24th year of a project called Operation-Save-a-Life in Philadelphia. It was one of a handful of events that NFPA has recently been invited to, thanks to a partnership that links NFPA with Kidde, Home Depot, ABC News, and other local partners. This particular collaboration provided over 200 fire departments with 10,000 donated smoke alarms! The line of fire vehicles waiting to receive their smoke alarms at the Philadelphia Fire Academy demonstrated the huge need that still exists for these important home safety devices.

NFPA is a proud supporter of Operation-Save-a-Life and other similar smoke alarm installation programs, and as such, we are making free resources available to enhance these programs. Our Smoke Alarm Installation Guide, and a vast selection of smoke alarm resources can all be found on the NFPA website and can be downloaded as often as needed. Operation-Save-a-Life puts working smoke alarms in homes that need them, and by doing so this project does just what it claims, it saves lives.

Source:: NFPA – Safety Information


Related Articles

Join us for a Twitter chat all about #WinterSafety tomorrow at 2:00pm ET

By Lauren Backstrom Let this be your formal invitation! We are hosting a Twitter chat, tomorrow (December 9th) at 2:00pm…

Sparky checks off bucket list item #49:”Take a hot air balloon ride”

By nfpa@jiveon.com Sparky embarks on taking a hot air balloon ride, in the shape of a giant sun. Hot air…

Oily rags at the center of recent spontaneous fire at museum

By nfpa@jiveon.com A recent three-alarm fire that damaged the State Police Museum & Learning Center in Grafton, Massachusetts, broke out…