Home fire causes $600K in damages but no injuries, thanks to working smoke alarms

title

By Susan McKelvey

“It’s still the same old story…”, so the song goes. In the case of working smoke alarms, the story is most often the same: smoke alarms save lives.

In the case of a recent Burlington, ON, home fire, that life-saving story played out when the smoke alarm started sounding at about 8:30pm. Upon investigating, the family found both cars in the garage fully engulfed by fire, while flames had spread to the second floor and roof above the garage.

Damage to the home was extensive, estimated at $600,000, but no one was hurt. Without the proper warning from working smoke alarms, this injury-free incident easily could have been a deadly one.

“The residents of the home were first alerted to the fire by activated smoke alarms which allowed them time to evacuate safely, proving once again that smoke alarms do save lives,” stated the Burlington Fire Department’s news release.

Here’s the “same old story” on smoke alarm installation and maintenance:

  • Make sure there’s a smoke alarm on every level of the home, in each bedroom, and outside all sleeping areas.
  • Test smoke alarms monthly
  • Change the batteries when they begin to chirp, signaling that the battery is running low.
  • Replace smoke alarms every ten years.
  • For more smoke alarm information and advice, visit NFPA’s Smoke Alarm Central.

Source:: NFPA – Safety Information


Related Articles

Apply now for the NFPA Fire and Life Safety Educator of the Year Award

By nfpa@jiveon.com Only weeks remain to apply for the Fire and Life Safety Educator of the Year Award. The deadline…

New and improved Fire Sprinkler Initiative newsletter makes its debut

By Fred Durso, Jr. Check out the new look of NFPA’s Fire Sprinkler Initiative newsletter. The publication now gives you…

New York fire commissioner conducts safety event after three major fires caused by children

By nfpa@jiveon.com A push for fire safety in New York City is being renewed following recent fires caused by children.…