Translation

Holidays serve up family fire safety reminder in the kitchen

title

By LisaMarie Sinatra

With Christmas just a few more days away, for many of us our thoughts have turned from gift shopping for those special people on our list to food shopping for that delicious holiday meal we can’t wait to serve. So as you begin your preparations, we here at NFPA stress the importance of fire safety, especially when you’re in the kitchen.

Why is this so important? Because Christmas Eve and Christmas Day are at the top of the list for having the most cooking fires (Thanksgiving is number 1) in the U.S.! And with this important statistic, we recommend a few things to keep in mind to help lower your risk for accidents:

  • Keep an eye on what you fry
  • Be alert when cooking
  • Keep things that can catch fire away from cooking area

That’s not so bad, is it? Hmmm, as a way to remember these quick three tips, maybe you can try it out in a new holiday family song! Oh, I may be smiling as I say this, but truly,

Our “Put a Freeze on Winter Fires” Campaign has some great resources you can use while preparing for the big day and the days that follow filled with good cheer, family and friends (and yes, even more eating!). We’ve got fact sheets and tip sheets, a video to watch and so much more.

Take some time to check out these and our other cooking fire safety resources, and remember to keep fire safety top of mind today and every day. Happy holidays, everyone, and stay safe!

Source:: NFPA – Safety Information


Related Articles

Deal of the day on a turkey fryer requires a close examination

By Lisa Braxton Because of online shopping opportunities, new deals for limited-time offers are vying for our attention multiple times…

USAA recognizes value of Firewise program to help protect Arizona neighborhoods

The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) and USAA announced today that USAA policyholders living in recognized Firewise Communities/USA® sites in…

Sprinkler System Stops McKinney, Texas Fire

By nfpa@jiveon.com No one was home at a McKinney, Texas apartment when a fire broke out in the kitchen. Firefighters…