Translation

FPW poster helps broaden the campaign’s reach

title

By Lisa Braxton

The staff of the Aurora Regional Fire Museum in Illinois purchased NFPA educational materials last year for the “Youth Firefighter Challenge,” the museum’s fire safety summer camp, and staff members were thrilled when they placed another order for this year’s camp because of a new feature among the Fire Prevention Week catalog items–the FPW poster is two-sided. One side is in English and the other is in Spanish.

“We have discovered that many of the campers’ parents and grandparents aren’t able to read English,” says Aurora Regional Fire Museum Development Director Mark Baum. “This new poster provides us with valuable information.”

Campers are taught fire safety, physical fitness, and life skills. More than 1,600 children participate. Camp counselors, who are studying fire science during the school year, are employed as firefighter explorers.

Baum says that by purchasing the poster, the FPW theme, “Hear the Beep Where You Sleep: Every Bedroom Needs a Working Smoke Alarm,” reaches a much broader audience in Aurora.

Related articles

NFPA announces “Hear the Beep Where You Sleep: Every Bedroom Needs a Working Smoke Alarm” as the official theme for Fire Prevention Week, October 4-10, 2015
Fire Prevention Week message presented in American Sign Language
NFPA announces theme for Fire Prevention Week 2015

Source:: NFPA – Safety Information


Related Articles

NFPA’s new report underscores prevalence of home fires and its effects

By nfpa@jiveon.com NFPA has released its latest “Home Structure Fires” report. As is the case with its previous reports on…

Tip sheet offers simple action steps for entertaining and decorating to help reduce risk of fires this holiday season

By nfpa@jiveon.com With Thanksgiving kicking off the holiday season, we now find ourselves in the throes of decorating, cooking and…

Unattended grill starts fire at a home in Oregon

By LisaMarie Sinatra Last weekend, firefighters in Southeast Portland (Oregon) responded to a house fire started by a grill. According…