Translation

Fires lead to tragedies in New England community

title

By Lisa Braxton

On New Year’s Eve I was back in Bridgeport, Connecticut, my hometown, with my family, looking forward to watching the television broadcast of the ball dropping at Times Square. We had no idea of the misfortune that was unfolding across town that day.

About 120 people were forced from their homes as a two-alarm fire ripped through a condo building and raged for hours. According to NBC Connecticut, part of the building collapsed, several units were destroyed, and people lost Christmas gifts and the rest of their possessions. The fire appears to have started in the garage, where several cars were burning under the building. Firefighters used aerial ladders to rescue people trapped inside. No residents were hurt.

As the community reeled over this tragedy, more was to come. Days later, a three-year-old girl died in an apparent stove fire that ravaged a condo unit, hospitalizing five others, including her mother, the condo owner, and three children. According to news reports, Bridgeport authorities say smoke alarms were disabled. They want to know why. The fire remains under investigation.

Source:: NFPA – Safety Information


Related Articles

Members of St. Louis Fire Department install smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms in more than a thousand homes

By nfpa@jiveon.com The St. Louis Fire Department conducted its two-day semi-annual “smoke alarm blitz” this past weekend. Done in partnership…

Father and son are hospitalized with CO poisoning, recognized the symptoms early enough to be saved

By nfpa@jiveon.com They were conscious and breathing when they arrived at the hospital–a father and son suffering from carbon monoxide…

Homebuilder gets schooled on home sprinkler costs in a town requiring installation

By Fred Durso, Jr. Bill McNaughton and family The community of Clarendon Hills, Illinois, has been requiring home fire sprinklers…