Translation

Fire runs for one department had a familiar ring

title

By Lisa Braxton

During a four-hour span last Tuesday, a fire department in Georgia something in common: they all happened in people’s kitchens. Gwinnett County firefighters responded at 9:40 a.m. to a report of an apartment fire in Norcross. Crews found a small fire on the stove that was smoldering on arrival. Firefighters quickly put the fire out. The fire caused minor damage to the stovetop and a pot of grease that was left unattended.

At 10:52 a.m. firefighters responded to a report of a house fire in Buford. Crews found a small fire in the oven that was smoldering on arrival. The fire was contained to debris in the oven and was quickly put out by firefighters. The fire caused minor damage to the appliance and sent light smoke throughout the house. The fire appeared accidental and was sparked by debris ignited during preheating.

Just three hours later firefighters responded to a house fire in Lawrenceville. Crews found light smoke on arrival and a small fire in the kitchen. The fire appeared to be accidental and was sparked by food left unattended on the stove.

Needless to say, Gwinnett County fire officials are reminding the public to use safe cooking practices. “These types of incidents are an important reminder of the fact that proper cooking practices and kitchen fire safety are paramount,” said Gwinnett Fire Captain Tommy Rutledge.

Cooking fires are the number one cause of home fires and home injuries.

Here’s what you need to know:

  • Keep an eye on what you fry
  • Be alert when cooking
  • Keep things that can catch fire away from cooking area Cooking Fire Safety Central on the NFPA website, along with the cooking safety tips sheet and the toolkit on cooking safety provide additional resources.

Source:: NFPA – Safety Information


Related Articles

NFPA and State Farm announce winners of 2017 Wildfire Community Preparedness Day project awards

A total of 150 projects were selected from 420 entries that span 42 states and Washington, D.C. As a co-sponsor…

Burn survivor PSA receives top honors for message on home fire sprinklers

By Fred Durso, Jr. The Wisconsin Broadcasters Association recently announced that a public service announcement featuring a 22-year-old burn survivor…

Massachusetts Fire Sprinkler Coalition receives 2016 NFPA fire sprinkler grant

By nfpa@jiveon.com The Massachusetts Fire Sprinkler Coalition was one of 15 fire safety groups awarded NFPA’s Fire Sprinkler Initiative Bringing…