Fire officials say sky lantern started 15-acre Wisconsin fire

title

By Lisa Braxton

According to Madison, Wisconsin, television station, WKOW 27, a candlelight hike at a park turned dangerous Saturday night, after brush caught fire and flames quickly took off.

Sun Prairie fire officials say the fire at McCarthy Youth and Conservation Park started when a sky lantern was released during a park event. Firefighters from multiple departments responded. No one was hurt, but officials say strong winds helped spread the flames. The fire ended up burning more than 15 acres in the park in about an hour.

“[The lanterns] are not a good idea; they are very dangerous,” said Fire Chief Christopher Garrison. He cited NFPA’s research on the devices. In fact, the use of sky lanterns is prohibited by NFPA code requirements. They should not be used under any circumstances. NFPA’s safety tip sheet on sky lanterns goes into detail on their dangerousness.

Source:: NFPA – Safety Information


Related Articles

Crack the Code with Sparky and find out why frogs like St. Patrick’s Day

By Lauren Backstrom Attention secret safety agents: Crack Sparky’s secret message in this month’s Crack the Code activity. Use your…

Winning team: Toronto Blue Jays promote smoke alarms and home fire sprinklers during national campaign

By nfpa@jiveon.com A national campaign featuring the Toronto Blue Jays features members of the team underscoring why fire sprinklers in…

CRR in Action: 3 Questions with Daniel Berger, the Community Risk Reduction Manager for Pflugerville Fire Department

Community Risk Reduction (CRR) is a process to identify and prioritize local risks, followed by the integrated and strategic investment…