Translation

Fire in the Northwest is a reminder to practice safety while heating

title

By Lisa Braxton

Fire investigators in Spokane, Washington, have determined that a fireplace and chimney were to blame for a house fire last week. Spokane firefighters were able to keep the home from burning to the ground. The three people living there said they had been using their fireplace the past few days without a problem. Last Friday they tended to it, went to bed and woke up Saturday morning to the sound of smoke alarms.

Spokane Fire Battalion Chief Ryan Reding was quoted by KXLY-TV, asking members of the public for vigilance in making sure they have working smoke alarms, carbon monoxide alarms, (CO) and that they conduct regular maintenance on their heating appliances. These are important reminders anytime of the year, but especially now, as people are turning up the heat.

Heating equipment is a leading cause of home fire deaths. Half of home heating equipment fires are reported during the months of December, January, and February.

The heating safety section of the NFPA website provides a number of resources, including statistics, videos and reports, heating safety tips, as well as a safety tips sheet with information on chimney and fireplace safety. The tips sheet also highlights the importance of having working CO alarms.

Smoke Alarm Central is your complete source of smoke alarm information.

Source:: NFPA – Safety Information


Related Articles

NFPA and Stop & Shop team up to promote healthy, safe grilling season

By LisaMarie Sinatra Three out of five households own a gas grill, according to NFPA’s “Home Fires Involving Cooking Equipment,”…

NFPA hires Nathaniel Lin to lead solutions oriented big data and analytics strategy

Nathaniel Lin recently joined the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) as director of data strategy and analytics, and will lead…

Injury prevention expert urges participation in National Burn Awareness activities

By nfpa@jiveon.com Karla Klas, BSN, RN, CCRP, manages the University of Michigan Trauma Burn Center’s nationally acclaimed community and family-centered…