Fire chief: Sprinklers would have prevented horrific fire that claimed a life

By Fred Durso, Jr. People leaped from second- and third-story windows. Others cried for help. Someone had no choice but to toss a baby from a window. These were the realities of a recent residential fire in Palmer, Massachusetts. Not everyone escaped with their life, however. A 53-year-old woman died in the blaze, caused by a candle in the woman’s home, according to a news story by WWLP. Palmer’s Fire Chief Alan Roy told the station that tenants had heard the smoke alarms, but didn’t evacuate until the fire department arrived. Roy also told a local ABC affiliate that the horrific scenario might have…

Source:: NFPA – Fire Sprinkler Initiative


Related Articles

Despite New Circumstances Caused by COVID19 the Key to Holiday Fire Safety is Consistent Action

The holiday season is well on its way, meaning more at-home festivities and cooking due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Other…

Years after NFPA launched its Faces of Fire Campaign, new webcast explains what our subjects have been up to

By nfpa@jiveon.com In case you missed it, NFPA’s Fire Sprinkler Initiative hosted a live webcast featuring three members of its…

Massive Fire Engulfs Home of Cooking Show Star Rachael Ray and Family; Local Officials Say Home Fire Sprinklers Would Have Made a Difference

By nfpa@jiveon.com A huge fire engulfed the upstate New York home of television host and celebrity cook, Rachael Ray, causing…