Translation

Extension cord fire leaves two dead

title

By Lisa Braxton

A fire in Palm Beach County, Florida, believed to be started by an extension cord in a mobile home, left twin 14-year-old girls dead and sent their mother to a nearby hospital early today, according to Palm Beach County Fire Rescue.

“We received news early this morning of a horrible tragedy that has taken the lives of two of our students. We are devastated by this unthinkable loss,” the girls’ school principal, Michael Aronson, is quoted in the Palm Beach Post as saying in a written statement.

When firefighters arrived at the home, they saw Palm Beach County Sheriff’s deputies pulling one person through the front window of the mobile home. Crews made their way into the smoke-filled home, pulled out one occupant and later located the third person.

There was a smoke alarm in the home, but no battery was found inside, according to fire officials.

NFPA’s electrical safety tips and tips sheet offer information about the safe use of electrical cords and extension cords. The electrical safety in the home section of the website offers an overview of electrical safety around the house.

Source:: NFPA – Safety Information


Related Articles

NFPA is live-Tweeting its Fire Sprinkler Initiative summit

By Mike Hazell Follow our live Twitter feed – and keep up to date on the happenings at today’s NFPA…

Father and son are hospitalized with CO poisoning, recognized the symptoms early enough to be saved

By nfpa@jiveon.com They were conscious and breathing when they arrived at the hospital–a father and son suffering from carbon monoxide…

Four decades since release of landmark “America Burning” report, has the country addressed its home fire problem?

By nfpa@jiveon.com With the 1973 release of the “America Burning” report, the nation got an exhaustive look at its fire…