Translation

Dozens evacuated due to elevated levels of carbon monoxide

title

By Lisa Braxton

Residents of a five-story apartment building in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, were evacuated this week because of elevated carbon monoxide (CO) readings. Firefighters had responded to a CO alarm. Elevated levels were detected immediately upon firefighters entering the building. According to SOOTODAY.com, dozens of residents were temporarily housed in the fire service’s command unit bus, as well as multiple city buses, as firefighters ventilated rooms and hallways.

Had the alarm not gone off and residents were exposed to the high levels for more than eight hours, Platoon Chief Chris Gillespie says residents could have experienced headaches, fatigue and nausea. If levels had gone higher, people would have been in danger of unconsciousness or worse.

“Every house in Sault Ste. Marie by law has to have a working CO [alarm] and smoke [alarms],” Gillespie said.

Hours after the emergency, residents were allowed back into their apartments.

NFPA’s community toolkit on carbon monoxide alarms, created in conjunction with the Consumer Product Safety Commission, provides everything educators need to motivate residents to install and maintain CO alarms, including safety tips sheets in English and Spanish, easy-to-read handouts in multiple languages, community outreach ideas, talking points, and a 10-minute mini-lesson.

Source:: NFPA – Safety Information


Related Articles

A gift with a safety theme this Valentine’s Day

By Lisa Braxton Weeks ago, my 18-year-old step-daughter Elizabeth let my husband and me know what she wanted for Valentine’s…

Department has new vehicle for delivering the message on fire safety

By Lisa Braxton Imagine zipping around town in a car that makes a statement. That’s what members of Whitby Fire…

Please help us highlight Home Fire Sprinkler Day on social media by using our free resources

By nfpa@jiveon.com NFPA and others have been hard at work making sure your Home Fire Sprinkler Day event goes off…