Delayed response to sounding smoke alarm results in safe but dramatic escape for Charlottesville, NC, family

title

By Susan McKelvey

Working

A kitchen towel was accidentally ignited by a candle in the kitchen, triggering the smoke alarm to sound. After believing the towel was extinguished, the mother went upstairs with her two daughters, one of whom was an infant. When the smoke alarm began to sound again, she assumed that the residual smoke had set it off. By the time she investigated further, the fire had spread to piles of laundry in the kitchen and smoke conditions had banked down to the floor.

In an effort to escape their home, the mother returned upstairs, took her two daughters into a front bedroom, and closed the door behind them. Using a window over the front porch to escape, the infant daughter was lowered to neighbors with a bed sheet. When the fire department arrived, the older girl was in the process of being lowered to neighbors. The mother was brought down by the department’s ground ladder.

We so often focus on the importance of having working smoke alarms in the home, which, of course, is vital to fire safety. But when a smoke alarm sounds, it needs to be taken seriously and responded to with a sense of urgency. That’s another message we need to keep communicating publicly. Fortunately in this case, when the mom realized there was a fire in her home, she took appropriate steps to protect herself and her daughters.

Source:: NFPA – Safety Information


Related Articles

Attend Upcoming Facebook Live Event Addressing Ways to Promote Winter Fire Safety in your Community during COVID-19

By nfpa@jiveon.com With the December, January, and February representing the leading months for home fires, fire departments typically work to better…

Please take quick survey and help NFPA fine tune its fire sprinkler advocacy efforts

By nfpa@jiveon.com Just a quick reminder that NFPA’s Fire Sprinkler Initiative is conducting a quick survey to gauge the free…

Answering the call: NFPA and its partners give free overview of home fire sprinklers to building inspectors

By nfpa@jiveon.com Home fire sprinklers aren’t a building code requirement in Alberta, Canada, but that has not stopped city officials…