Translation

Delayed response to sounding smoke alarm results in safe but dramatic escape for Charlottesville, NC, family

title

By Susan McKelvey

Working

A kitchen towel was accidentally ignited by a candle in the kitchen, triggering the smoke alarm to sound. After believing the towel was extinguished, the mother went upstairs with her two daughters, one of whom was an infant. When the smoke alarm began to sound again, she assumed that the residual smoke had set it off. By the time she investigated further, the fire had spread to piles of laundry in the kitchen and smoke conditions had banked down to the floor.

In an effort to escape their home, the mother returned upstairs, took her two daughters into a front bedroom, and closed the door behind them. Using a window over the front porch to escape, the infant daughter was lowered to neighbors with a bed sheet. When the fire department arrived, the older girl was in the process of being lowered to neighbors. The mother was brought down by the department’s ground ladder.

We so often focus on the importance of having working smoke alarms in the home, which, of course, is vital to fire safety. But when a smoke alarm sounds, it needs to be taken seriously and responded to with a sense of urgency. That’s another message we need to keep communicating publicly. Fortunately in this case, when the mom realized there was a fire in her home, she took appropriate steps to protect herself and her daughters.

Source:: NFPA – Safety Information


Related Articles

New video narrated by pro-sprinkler builder gives unique pitch for home safety

By nfpa@jiveon.com Fire safety organizations have teamed up to produce a new video succinctly outlining the life-saving benefits of home…

In December’s issue of Safety Source; Freeze on Winter Fires campaign, new children’s videos on wildfire, open positions with team & more

By Lauren Backstrom The December issue of Safety Source, NFPA’s public education enewsletter, is now available for viewing. In this…

Home fire causes $600K in damages but no injuries, thanks to working smoke alarms

By Susan McKelvey “It’s still the same old story…”, so the song goes. In the case of working smoke alarms,…