Translation

Cigarette lighters involved in Massachusetts house fire

title

By Lisa Braxton

Children playing with cigarette lighters has been determined to be the cause of a recent fire in Springfield, Massachusetts, that destroyed a three-family home and displaced 15 people.

No injuries were reported, according to WWLP-TV, but the house was considered a complete loss, according to fire officials.

Heat from the fire also melted the vinyl siding of the home next door, causing several thousands of dollars’ worth of damage.

The fire quickly spread throughout the building from the second floor into the third floor, attic, and roof. Several times the fire appeared to be out only to erupt once again. It took firefighters about 3 1/2 hours to bring the fire under control.

Investigators with the Springfield Arson and Bomb Squad determined the fire was started accidentally by children playing with cigarette lighters.

NFPA’s Educational Messages Desk Reference advises that cigarettes, lighters, matches, and other smoking materials be kept up high out of the reach of children in a locked cabinet. The smoking safety page on the website and the Smoking and Home Fire Safety tips sheet also provide information on precautions involving smoking and smoking materials.

Related articles

Kindergarten student helps his family safely escape home fire after learning NFPA’s Learn Not to Burn program

Source:: NFPA – Safety Information


Related Articles

New tool gives guidance on talking home fire sprinklers with the media

By Fred Durso, Jr. Since the fire service frequently speaks to the news media about residential fires, this group can…

Latest Fire Sprinkler Initiative newsletter details how safety advocates are firing back at news stories with a slanted spin on home fire sprinklers

By Fred Durso, Jr. In the latest issue of NFPA’s Fire Sprinkler Initiative newsletter, read how fire safety advocates are…

Smoke alarms were central to homeowner’s safe escape

By Lisa Braxton A homeowner and several pets were able to escape a fire that ripped through a home in…