Candle fire displaces university students

title

By Lisa Braxton

According to The Clarion Ledger, a fire in a Mississippi State University women’s residence hall displaced 198 students Sunday night. No injuries were reported.The fire on the third floor of the four-story residence hall was apparently caused by a candle burning in one of the rooms, a violation of the university housing policy. In addition to fire and smoke damage, the residence hall has extensive water damage.

NFPA’s Candle Safety tip sheet reminds us that flameless candles are a safe alternative. They look and smell like real candles. The College Campus Fire Safety tip sheet offers a number of important reminders as well.

You can review all of our safety tips on the NFPA website.

Source:: NFPA – Safety Information


Related Articles

Local Utah Fire Department Service Project Reminds Us About the Value of Collaboration and the Importance of Safety During Fire Prevention Week and Beyond

By nfpa@jiveon.com Earlier this month, NFPA learned about a local service project that embodies the true spirit of collaboration as it relates…

Join NFPA and Safe Kids Worldwide for free webinar on new partnership, Fire Prevention Week strategies

By Lisa Braxton The National Fire Protection Association and Safe Kids Worldwide are teaming up in a formal partnership to…

Injury prevention expert urges participation in National Burn Awareness activities

By nfpa@jiveon.com Karla Klas, BSN, RN, CCRP, manages the University of Michigan Trauma Burn Center’s nationally acclaimed community and family-centered…