by FSTI | November 26, 2014 9:21 am
By Lisa Braxton
Authorities say a candle caused a fire inside a dorm room on the campus of Robert Morris University in Pennsylvania this week. According to WPXI.com, university relations officials say a student knocked over a burning candle. The fire was contained to the room and quickly put out. No one was injured.The university’s policies and procedures state that candles or incense or the use of other open flame devices are prohibited in university property and will be confiscated if found.
NFPA’s College Campus Fire Safety Tips sheet states that candles should be burned only if the school permits their use. They should be placed away from anything that can burn and blown out when you leave the room or go to sleep. The candle safety tips sheet is another great resource on this topic.
NFPA’s safety tips sheets now include a personal touch
Let NFPA held you get prepared for winter safety
Source:: NFPA – Safety Information
Source URL: https://www.cafsti.org/news/industry-news/candle-determined-cause-of-fire-on-college-campus/
Copyright ©2022 Fire Services Training Institute – FSTI unless otherwise noted.