Candle determined cause of fire on college campus

title

By Lisa Braxton

Authorities say a candle caused a fire inside a dorm room on the campus of Robert Morris University in Pennsylvania this week. According to WPXI.com, university relations officials say a student knocked over a burning candle. The fire was contained to the room and quickly put out. No one was injured.The university’s policies and procedures state that candles or incense or the use of other open flame devices are prohibited in university property and will be confiscated if found.

NFPA’s College Campus Fire Safety Tips sheet states that candles should be burned only if the school permits their use. They should be placed away from anything that can burn and blown out when you leave the room or go to sleep. The candle safety tips sheet is another great resource on this topic.

Related articles

NFPA’s safety tips sheets now include a personal touch
Let NFPA held you get prepared for winter safety

Source:: NFPA – Safety Information


Related Articles

Rarely getting the media’s attention, fire sprinklers extinguish series of recent home fires

By Fred Durso, Jr. It’s no surprise that news outlets are drawn to fire’s destructiveness; the drama, eye-catching images, and…

Following statewide ban on fire sprinkler requirements, safety advocates re-energize push for fire sprinkler laws

By nfpa@jiveon.com A statewide, fire sprinkler requirement for all new homes in Pennsylvania was set to take place in 2011.…

Urgent: Take part in or help underscore crucial vote on home fire sprinklers

By nfpa@jiveon.com Opponents of home fire sprinklers failed in their initial effort to eliminate the requirement to sprinkler new, one-…