Translation

At Least 6 Die of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning After Massive Snowstorm

title

By Lisa Braxton

At least six people have died from carbon monoxide poisoning in the wake of a massive blizzard that pounded the Eastern portion of the U.S. The deaths have many fire departments, including some in the Washington, D.C. area, reminding residents to clear their home and car exhausts of snow.

According to 4 NBC Washington, many of the deaths happened as the victims worked to clear snow from a vehicle.

In New Jersey, 23-year-old Sashalynn Rosa, of Passaic, and her 1-year-old son, Messiah Bonilla, died of carbon monoxide poisoning while sitting in a running car that had its tailpipe covered in snow. Rosa’s 3-year-old daughter, Saniyah Bonilla, remains hospitalized in critical condition. The father of the children was just steps away shoveling snow from around the car.

Angel Ginel of New York died in a similar way Monday afternoon. Police say Ginel was found inside his running, plowed-in car in Brooklyn. His relatives believe he got inside the car to warm up Sunday, and the car got buried.

Carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can be confused with shortness of breath, nausea, dizziness, light headedness or headaches.

Fire officials are reminding residents that a car’s exhaust pipe should be cleared before starting the vehicle and of the dangers of sitting inside the car to stay warm. NFPA’s community toolkit on carbon monoxide alarms provides materials public educators can use to conduct a community education campaign on the topic. In addition, the carbon monoxide safety tips sheet, customizable and available in English and Spanish, offers quick tips about safety.

Related articles

Carbon Monoxide Poisonings Prompt Federal Legislation

Source:: NFPA – Safety Information


Related Articles

NFPA toolkit helps with hurricane preparedness

By nfpa@jiveon.com Hurricane season has gotten off to a quick start. Already three named storms have occurred in the Atlantic…

Pro Board accredits first European organization

The Pro Board is pleased to announce accreditation of its first ever European fire training academy, the Fire Service College…

Fire sprinklers to the rescue: Series of recent activations save lives and property

By Fred Durso, Jr. Burnt, but not destroyed: the aftermath of a grease fire following a fire sprinkler activation In…