Traduction

Redoublez de prudence dans la cuisine l'Action de grâces: Trois fois plus nombreux incendies se produisent le jour de Thanksgiving que sur une journée typique

title

By Susan McKelvey

When most of us think about Thanksgiving, images of turkey, stuffing and time spent with loved ones typically come to mind, not fire hazards. Cependant, an increased risk of fire is, in fact, a reality of Thanksgiving. Three times as many home cooking fires occurring on Thanksgiving as on a typical day.

NFPA’s latest cooking estimates show that there were 1,550 cooking fires on Thanksgiving in 2013, reflecting a 230 percent increase over the daily average. Unattended cooking is the leading cause of these fires.

Here are NFPA’s top five tips for cooking safely this Thanksgiving:

  • Remain in the kitchen while you’re cooking, and keep a close eye on what you fry! Always stay in the kitchen while frying, grilling or broiling food. If you have to leave the kitchen for even a short period of time, turn off the stove. Regularly check on food that’s simmering, baking or roasting, and use a timer to remind you that you’re cooking.
  • Keep things that can catch fire such as oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels and curtains away from the cooking area.
  • If you have a small (grease) cooking fire on the stovetop and decide to fight the fire: Smother the flames by sliding a lid over the pan and turning off the burner. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled. For an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed.
  • For an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed. If you’re cooking a turkey using a disposable aluminum pan, consider doubling up and using two pans to avoid a puncture, as dripping turkey juices can cause an oven fire.
  • Be alert when cooking. If you’re sleepy or have consumed alcohol, don’t use the stove or stovetop.

Check out our Thanksgiving fire safety tips and recommendations for safe cooking all year long.

Source:: NFPA – Safety Information


Related Articles

Canadian council supports decision to allow local jurisdictions to permit home fire sprinklers

Par Fred Durso, Jr. Last month, the Township of Langley Council in British Columbia unanimously supported a resolution that aims

North Carolina principal seriously burned from propane grill at senior picnic

By LisaMarie Sinatra Some sad news out of North Carolina. The principal at a high school in Fayetteville suffered third-degree

En savoir ne pas brûler mis en évidence dans la campagne de sensibilisation dans les écoles

By Lisa Braxton Traditional and social media played a big role in the success of this years“Keeping Our Kids