Traduction

Unattended grill starts fire at a home in Oregon

title

By LisaMarie Sinatra

Last weekend, firefighters in Southeast Portland (Oregon) responded to a house fire started by a grill. According to officials quoted in The Oregonian, the grill was left unattended on the back deck. The fire then spread to the side of the home and into the attic. Thankfully, no injuries were reported but family members now have to find alternative housing because of the extensive damage to the home.

Each year an average of 8,800 home fires are caused by grilling, and the summer months are the time when grilling fires happen most often, with July being the peak month followed by May, June and August.

We know cookouts and BBQ’s are some of the best events to host, but they can also be dangerous. This story in Portland is a serious reminder about what can happen when we don’t take the necessary precautions and put safety first. Before your next outdoor event, take a few minutes to review some grilling fire safety tips from NFPA including our latest videos that tackle the following:

* The correct way to turn your grill on and off safely

* The steps you need to follow when your grill won’t ignite

The tips are simple but effective; the videos are short. Both resources will go a long way to making your cookouts safe and fun for you and your guests. Share them with friends and family before your next get-together. You’ll be glad you did.

Over the next few months, play it fire safety smart. Then relax and enjoy a wonderful grilling season all summer long!

Photo courtesy of Dick Harris, Portland Fire Photographer in The Oregonian

Source:: NFPA – Safety Information


Related Articles

Secure up to $10,000! Date limite d'inscription approche de l'Initiative de gicleurs d'incendie la subvention NFPA

Par Fred Durso, Jr. Si un manque de financement qui vous empêche d'obtenir un message de sécurité cruciale vers…

feuille de pointe Nouvelle de sécurité disponible sur la thésaurisation et ses dangers

By Lisa Braxton Hoarding is a condition in which a person has persistent difficulty discarding personal possessions. The large amount

division incendies de NFPA reçoit FEMA subvention pour soutenir pompier participation à la zone la maison allumage seminarss

The National Fire Protection Association’s (NFPA) Wildland Fire Operations Division has received a $360,000 grant from the Federal Emergency Management