Traduction

Unattended grill starts fire at a home in Oregon

title

By LisaMarie Sinatra

Last weekend, firefighters in Southeast Portland (Oregon) responded to a house fire started by a grill. According to officials quoted in The Oregonian, the grill was left unattended on the back deck. The fire then spread to the side of the home and into the attic. Thankfully, no injuries were reported but family members now have to find alternative housing because of the extensive damage to the home.

Each year an average of 8,800 home fires are caused by grilling, and the summer months are the time when grilling fires happen most often, with July being the peak month followed by May, June and August.

We know cookouts and BBQ’s are some of the best events to host, but they can also be dangerous. This story in Portland is a serious reminder about what can happen when we don’t take the necessary precautions and put safety first. Before your next outdoor event, take a few minutes to review some grilling fire safety tips from NFPA including our latest videos that tackle the following:

* The correct way to turn your grill on and off safely

* The steps you need to follow when your grill won’t ignite

The tips are simple but effective; the videos are short. Both resources will go a long way to making your cookouts safe and fun for you and your guests. Share them with friends and family before your next get-together. You’ll be glad you did.

Over the next few months, play it fire safety smart. Then relax and enjoy a wonderful grilling season all summer long!

Photo courtesy of Dick Harris, Portland Fire Photographer in The Oregonian

Source:: NFPA – Safety Information


Related Articles

NFPA’s Fire Sprinkler Initiative newsletter highlights progressor lack thereofin home fire protection since landmark “Amérique du brûlage” report

By nfpune@jiveon.com According to a safety advocate, one of the most crucial recommendations pertaining to fire sprinklers in a pivotal

Canada is ready for Fire Prevention Week

By nfpa@jiveon.com The distribution center of the Fire Marshal’s Public Fire Safety Council in Brockville, Ontario, is a busy place

Thanksgiving is the leading day for home cooking fires

Cooking is, and has long been, the leading cause of home structure fires and home fire injuries, and according to