Traduction

Smoke alarm enables family to escape home fire likely started by space heater

title

By Susan McKelvey

A couple and their one-year-old safely escaped a home fire this past weekend when they awoke to the sound of a smoke alarm shortly before 4 a.m. Upon exiting the home, Patrick Parker said he and his wife saw flames near a space heater. While the family escaped without injury, the home was destroyed.

A working smoke alarm enabled a family of three to escape an early morning fire without injury, while the home was destroyed.

“This is a classic case of a smoke alarm doing what it’s supposed to do,” said Fire Chief Andy Riley of the Dandridge, Tennessee, Fire Department. “Now is a good time to check your own smoke alarms and make sure they are in good working order.”

Smoke alarms should be tested monthly. For smoke alarms that include a 10-year, non-replaceable battery, replace the entire smoke alarm if it begins to “chirp”, indicating that the battery is running low. For smoke alarms that use regular batteries, you can replace the batteries once a year, or before then if they begin to chirp.

Also, as temperatures begin to drop, it’s important to make sure your home heating equipment is functioning and used properly. Check out our home heating section, which offers tips and recommendations for ensuring a warm, fire-safe season in the months ahead.

Source:: NFPA – Safety Information


Related Articles

New outdoor entertaining webpage highlights fire safety from setting the table to decorating landscapes

By LisaMarie Sinatra Warm balmy nights, food Did you know? NFPA is now a regular content contributor for Martha Stewart

Answering the call: NFPA and its partners give free overview of home fire sprinklers to building inspectors

By nfpa@jiveon.com Home fire sprinklers aren’t a building code requirement in Alberta, Canada, but that has not stopped city officials

Fire in the Northwest is a reminder to practice safety while heating

By Lisa Braxton Fire investigators in Spokane, Washington, have determined that a fireplace and chimney were to blame for a