Small stove fire offers cooking safety reminder


By Lisa Braxton

Police in Altoona, Pennsylvanie, say dogs trying to get at a box of cupcakes left on top of a stove apparently started a small fire in a home there earlier this week.

According to the dogs.That’s when the landlord saw a small stovetop fire and called firefighters.

Police say it appears the dogs were trying to get into the cupcakes and not only knocked off the stove’s control knobs, but turned on the stove, causing the fire.

The fire has been ruled accidental. Nobody was injured.

NFPA’s Cooking Safety tips sheet stresses the importance of keeping anything that can catch fire away from the stovetop. The tips sheet and community toolkit on cooking safety for the fire service include additional tips on fire safety in the kitchen.

Source:: NFPA – Safety Information

Related Articles

Live burn shows just how quickly Christmas tree fires can turn devastating and deadly

By Susan McKelvey The devastating damage Christmas tree fires can inflict on people and property – and just how quickly

Fire officials say Christmas tree lights sparked fatal fire in Utah

By A Utah couple has died after faulty Christmas tree lights sparked a fire at their home just north

Tennessee fire deaths reach a new record low

Par Lisa Braxton Bureau du Tennessee State Fire Marshal a annoncé cette semaine que moins la structure des décès d'incendie se sont produits en 2015…