Traduction

Should you sleep with your bedroom door closed? NFPA’s Educational Messages Advisory Committee will discuss this issue at its March 2016 meeting

title

By Judy Comoletti

Recent media coverage and new Underwriters Laboratories (UL) research has brought to the forefront again the issue of whether fire and life safety educators should be saying people should sleep with bedroom doors shut to be safer from fire. NFPA’s Educational Messages Advisory Committee (EMAC) has reviewed the issue in the past and determined that if residents sleep with bedroom doors closed, it is important that they have interconnected smoke alarms.

EMAC will meet March 30-31 at NFPA headquarters in Quincy, MA and is slated to discuss the topic again. And whether or not sleeping with the bedroom door closed should be added to EMAC messaging. EMAC will review new UL research documents, media clips, and other documentation submitted before making a determination on NFPA’s official position. NFPA is accepting comments for revision to the EMAC document through February 26, 2016.

UL research shows how a closed door can keep smoke out of a bedroom longer as well as change the flow of heat and toxic gases, acting as a shield for someone trapped and unable to get out of a fire. NFPA stresses the importance of having a working smoke alarm inside each bedroom, outside each separate sleeping area and on every level of the home. For the best protection, smoke alarms should be interconnected so when one sounds they all sound. Read the full story and watch the videos of each of the UL tests for more information.

Source:: NFPA – Safety Information


Related Articles

Fire Prevention Week coloring sheet adds a dose of fun to safety messaging

By nfpa@jiveon.com I haven’t picked up a crayon since I was in elementary school, but when a downloadable coloring sheet

Preparing for Hurricane Matthew

By nfpa@jiveon.com Source:: NFPA – Safety Information

Sprinklers control home fire caused by discarded cigarette

By nfpa@jiveon.com A carelessly discarded cigarette started a fire in a Reno, Nevada, residence, but the fire was quickly contained