Traduction

Fires lead to tragedies in New England community

title

By Lisa Braxton

On New Year’s Eve I was back in Bridgeport, Connecticut, my hometown, with my family, looking forward to watching the television broadcast of the ball dropping at Times Square. We had no idea of the misfortune that was unfolding across town that day.

About 120 people were forced from their homes as a two-alarm fire ripped through a condo building and raged for hours. According to NBC Connecticut, part of the building collapsed, several units were destroyed, and people lost Christmas gifts and the rest of their possessions. The fire appears to have started in the garage, where several cars were burning under the building. Firefighters used aerial ladders to rescue people trapped inside. No residents were hurt.

As the community reeled over this tragedy, more was to come. Days later, a three-year-old girl died in an apparent stove fire that ravaged a condo unit, hospitalizing five others, including her mother, the condo owner, and three children. According to news reports, Bridgeport authorities say smoke alarms were disabled. They want to know why. The fire remains under investigation.

Source:: NFPA – Safety Information


Related Articles

Fire safety educator urges her peers to abide by Fire Prevention Week theme

By nfpa@jiveon.com Fire and life safety experts across North America are busy sharing the Fire Prevention Week campaign with the

New sprinkler law takes effect in Connecticut following advocacy efforts

Par Fred Durso, Jr. As reported on this blog, a father’s push for increased awareness of home fire sprinklers following

Carbon monoxide brochures offer a timely reminder about safety

By Lisa Braxton Carbon monoxide (CO) incidents can occur any time of year, but they tend to be more common