Traduction

Fire in the Northwest is a reminder to practice safety while heating

title

By Lisa Braxton

Fire investigators in Spokane, Washington, have determined that a fireplace and chimney were to blame for a house fire last week. Spokane firefighters were able to keep the home from burning to the ground. The three people living there said they had been using their fireplace the past few days without a problem. Last Friday they tended to it, went to bed and woke up Saturday morning to the sound of smoke alarms.

Spokane Fire Battalion Chief Ryan Reding was quoted by KXLY-TV, asking members of the public for vigilance in making sure they have working smoke alarms, carbon monoxide alarms, (CO) and that they conduct regular maintenance on their heating appliances. These are important reminders anytime of the year, but especially now, as people are turning up the heat.

Heating equipment is a leading cause of home fire deaths. Half of home heating equipment fires are reported during the months of December, Janvier, and February.

The heating safety section of the NFPA website provides a number of resources, including statistics, videos and reports, heating safety tips, as well as a safety tips sheet with information on chimney and fireplace safety. The tips sheet also highlights the importance of having working CO alarms.

Smoke Alarm Central is your complete source of smoke alarm information.

Source:: NFPA – Safety Information


Related Articles

Injury prevention expert urges participation in National Burn Awareness activities

By nfpa@jiveon.com Karla Klas, BSN, RN, CCRP, manages the University of Michigan Trauma Burn Center’s nationally acclaimed community and family-centered

NFPA announces theme for Fire Prevention Week 2015

By Lisa Braxton NFPA is excited to announce the Fire Prevention Week (FPW) theme for 2015: “Hear the Beep Where

Burn survivor PSA receives top honors for message on home fire sprinklers

Par Fred Durso, Jr. The Wisconsin Broadcasters Association recently announced that a public service announcement featuring a 22-year-old burn survivor