Traduction

Fire in the Northwest is a reminder to practice safety while heating

title

By Lisa Braxton

Fire investigators in Spokane, Washington, have determined that a fireplace and chimney were to blame for a house fire last week. Spokane firefighters were able to keep the home from burning to the ground. The three people living there said they had been using their fireplace the past few days without a problem. Last Friday they tended to it, went to bed and woke up Saturday morning to the sound of smoke alarms.

Spokane Fire Battalion Chief Ryan Reding was quoted by KXLY-TV, asking members of the public for vigilance in making sure they have working smoke alarms, carbon monoxide alarms, (CO) and that they conduct regular maintenance on their heating appliances. These are important reminders anytime of the year, but especially now, as people are turning up the heat.

Heating equipment is a leading cause of home fire deaths. Half of home heating equipment fires are reported during the months of December, Janvier, and February.

The heating safety section of the NFPA website provides a number of resources, including statistics, videos and reports, heating safety tips, as well as a safety tips sheet with information on chimney and fireplace safety. The tips sheet also highlights the importance of having working CO alarms.

Smoke Alarm Central is your complete source of smoke alarm information.

Source:: NFPA – Safety Information


Related Articles

The Philip J DiNenno Prize awarded for the development of oxygen consumption calorimetry

The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) announced that oxygen consumption calorimetry is the technical achievement to receive this year’s Philip

Lawmaker introduces bill to sprinkler new townhomes

By nfpa@jiveon.com A legislator who supports fire sprinklers has once again introduced a bill to further protect his state’s new

Fire department kicks off smoke alarm blitz in effort to increase safety

By Lisa Braxton The Harris County Emergency Services District 48 Fire Department in Texas, the American Red Cross, Kingsland Baptist