Traduction

Family has close call with carbon monoxide exposure

title

By Lisa Braxton

A knock on the door by a sick child is credited with playing a big role in saving a family of five in Airdrie, Alberta. One night last week, 10-year-old Ashlea Orsted knocked on her parentsbedroom door complaining of feeling sick. A short while later, the child collapsed. This was followed by her father, Dorien, struggling to stand up, her sister collapsing on the bathroom floor and her brother complaining of a headache and being unable to walk. The family managed to get outside and call 911. They were hospitalized with extremely high levels of carbon monoxide (CO) exposure and placed on oxygen.

Airdrie Deputy Fire Chief Garth Rabel is quoted in the Airdrie City View as saying that the home had no working CO alarms and that a boiler leak filled the home with CO. After the family was released from the hospital, Dorien purchased a set of alarms.

NFPA provides material the fire service can use to remind the public of the dangers of CO poisoning and the importance of CO alarms, including the new Keeping Your Community Safe with Carbon Monoxide Alarms Toolkit. In addition safety tips on CO safety are available.

Source:: NFPA – Safety Information


Related Articles

Vous avez seulement une semaine de plus à appliquer pour la délivrance d'éducation publique de NFPA

Par Lisa Braxton Encore une semaine reste avant la date limite pour demander le Rolf H. Jensen Memorial Public Education

NFPA provides Fire Prevention Week in a Box to Explorer program awardees

By nfpa@jiveon.com The National Volunteer Fire Council’s Junior Firefighter Program of the Year Award, sponsored by Tyco, honors a junior

Legislators address home fire problem by introducing bill to fire sprinkler new homes

By nfpa@jiveon.com Following a deadly start to 2017, two elected officials have taken action to reduce the tragedies triggered by