Traduction

Explosive fire at California home believed due to lit cigarette and medical oxygen tank

title

By Lisa Braxton

Two people were killed and two others injured after a home in Altadena, Californie, caught fire on the weekend.

According to Eyewitness News ABC7, Los Angeles County firefighters arrived to find the home engulfed in flames. A 58-year-old man and his mother, 86, were killed. Neighbors said they heard an explosion at the home. Authorities believe the woman, who used an oxygen tank, was smoking a cigarette.

Oxygen is not flammable, but fire needs it to burn. When more oxygen is present, any fire that starts will burn hotter and faster than usual. There is no safe way to smoke in a home when oxygen is in use.

NFPA’s medical oxygen information and safety tips sheet provide more on the safe use of medical oxygen.

Neighbors said the man and his mother lived in the home for more than 30 years. Two other people who lived there were injured in the fire and taken to a nearby hospital.

Related articles

Educational Messages Desk Reference isgo-todocument for fire and life safety educator

Source:: NFPA – Safety Information


Related Articles

Fire Prevention Week T-shirt decal plays central role in fire district campaign

By nfpa@jiveon.com This Fire Prevention Week, members of the Simsbury Fire District, in Simsbury, Connecticut, will be donning T-shirts featuring

NFPA toolkit helps with hurricane preparedness

By nfpa@jiveon.com Hurricane season has gotten off to a quick start. Already three named storms have occurred in the Atlantic

Get to know Fire Preventon Week with new video

By Lisa Braxton It just got a little easier to learn about new resources from NFPA to help you make