Traduction

Explosive fire at California home believed due to lit cigarette and medical oxygen tank

title

By Lisa Braxton

Two people were killed and two others injured after a home in Altadena, Californie, caught fire on the weekend.

According to Eyewitness News ABC7, Los Angeles County firefighters arrived to find the home engulfed in flames. A 58-year-old man and his mother, 86, were killed. Neighbors said they heard an explosion at the home. Authorities believe the woman, who used an oxygen tank, was smoking a cigarette.

Oxygen is not flammable, but fire needs it to burn. When more oxygen is present, any fire that starts will burn hotter and faster than usual. There is no safe way to smoke in a home when oxygen is in use.

NFPA’s medical oxygen information and safety tips sheet provide more on the safe use of medical oxygen.

Neighbors said the man and his mother lived in the home for more than 30 years. Two other people who lived there were injured in the fire and taken to a nearby hospital.

Related articles

Educational Messages Desk Reference isgo-todocument for fire and life safety educator

Source:: NFPA – Safety Information


Related Articles

NFPA announces the appointment of Rafa Yañez as new business development leader in Latin America

In an effort to better meet the needs of Latin America and Spain, the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) has

Here’s how to put safety on the menu this Thanksgiving

By nfpa@jiveon.com Many of us are planning our menus and making shopping lists. It’s a good idea to review basic

Les constructeurs tentent d'éliminer nouvelle exigence pour les extincteurs automatiques domiciliaires via une action en justice

Par Fred Durso, Jr. Image courtesy of Kittisak at FreeDigitalPhotos.net The city of Estero, Florida, celebrated a victory in October