As it cools down, and home heating appliances are fired up, check for safety


By Faith Berry

As the summer comes to an end and we prepare to enjoy more indoor activities, it is important to make sure that home heating appliances are operated properly. NFPA has a wonderful safety tip sheet about heating safety. It references standards NFPA 97 and NFPA 211, with information about how to safely install and use home heating appliances. It is so nice to curl up by the fireplace or wood stove with a cup of cocoa, blanket and your pet close by, and even nicer to know that you are safe while doing so.

Some tips to consider are:

  • Make sure that the equipment is properly installed and vented.
  • Install a carbon dioxide alarm and test.
  • Make sure that you have a working smoke alarm.
  • Keep anything that can burn (such as paper or wood) three feet away from all heating appliances.
  • Have chimneys and vents cleaned and inspected by a professional.
  • Only use the recommended fuel.
  • Dispose of hot ash properly. Ashes should be cool when placed in a metal container that is kept away from the home.
  • Never use the oven to heat your home.
  • Make sure that you have a spark screen in front of the fireplace.
  • Make sure that you have a properly installed chimney cap.
  • Make sure that tree limbs are 10 feet away and never overhanging the chimney. Keep leaves and pine needles off the roof.

Remember most heating fires occur during the winter months. Be warm and safe this autumn and winter as we embrace a Year of Living Less Dangerously From Wildfire.

Source:: NFPA – Safety Information

Related Articles

NFPA seeks to contract with public education consultant based in Canada

By Do you have a passion for fire and life safety education? Are you an outstanding educator and trainer?…

Dog snatches pancake from stove, accidentally starting house fire

By A dog accidentally started a fire this week while stealing a pancake from on top of a stove

Dozens evacuated due to elevated levels of carbon monoxide

By Lisa Braxton Residents of a five-story apartment building in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, were evacuated this week because of