Traducción

Unattended grill starts fire at a home in Oregon

título

Por LisaMarie Sinatra

Last weekend, firefighters in Southeast Portland (Oregón) responded to a house fire started by a grill. According to officials quoted in The Oregonian, the grill was left unattended on the back deck. The fire then spread to the side of the home and into the attic. Thankfully, no injuries were reported but family members now have to find alternative housing because of the extensive damage to the home.

Each year an average of 8,800 home fires are caused by grilling, and the summer months are the time when grilling fires happen most often, with July being the peak month followed by May, June and August.

We know cookouts and BBQ’s are some of the best events to host, but they can also be dangerous. This story in Portland is a serious reminder about what can happen when we don’t take the necessary precautions and put safety first. Before your next outdoor event, take a few minutes to review some grilling fire safety tips from NFPA including our latest videos that tackle the following:

* The correct way to turn your grill on and off safely

* The steps you need to follow when your grill won’t ignite

The tips are simple but effective; the videos are short. Both resources will go a long way to making your cookouts safe and fun for you and your guests. Share them with friends and family before your next get-together. You’ll be glad you did.

Over the next few months, play it fire safety smart. Then relax and enjoy a wonderful grilling season all summer long!

Photo courtesy of Dick Harris, Portland Fire Photographer in The Oregonian

Fuente:: NFPA – Información de seguridad


Artículos relacionados

NFPA’s Public Education division announces addition of three new public education specialists

Asociación Nacional de Protección contra Incendios (NFPA) announced the addition of three public education specialists: Kelly Ransdell, Meredith Hawes and Jeffrey Donahue.

Modelado de seguridad tiene sus recompensas

Por nfpa@jiveon.com Mi esposo, Alex, y yo somos escritores. We both worked for years as newspaper reporters and taught journalism

NFPA interviews homeowner who had fire sprinklers installed in his new home

por nfpun@jiveon.doom NFPA’s Fire Sprinkler Initiative team was recently introduced to Joe Thomas, a Missouri-based photographer who installed fire sprinklers