Traducción

Stubborn fire at marketplace linked to smoking materials

título

Por Lisa Braxton

One of my favorite gourmet shops had a fire recently. According to the Weymouth News, Previte’s Marketplace in East Weymouth, Massachusetts, sustained more than $25,000 in damage. Officials say the stubborn fire was caused by careless disposal of smoking materials that ignited the mulch bed near the entrance. The fire spread from the dry mulch into a wall of the business beneath the siding. There were no reports of injuries.

NFPA’s Smoking and Home Fire Safety tip sheet reminds us not to discard cigarettes in vegetation, such as mulch, potted plants or landscaping, peat moss, dried grass, leaves, or other things that could easily ignite.

Safe disposal of cigarettes and other smoking materials is important. Smoking materials are the leading cause of home fire deaths. Before butts and ashes are thrown away, they should be doused in water or sand. More smoking safety information is available on the NFPA website.

Related articles

A wedding ceremony goes up in flames

NFPA provides new safety tip sheets en Espanol!

Read the August issue of Fire BreakNFPA’s wildland fire newsletter

In the new NFPA Journal, “In Compliancelooks at emergency messages in large assembly occupancies

Fuente:: NFPA – Información de seguridad

Michael S. Williams

Michael S. Williams

Williams fundó el Instituto de Formación de Servicios de Bomberos en 1995 para encontrar soluciones a los desafíos que enfrenta el servicio de bomberos voluntarios. Él ha sido un miembro activo de la Asociación de Bomberos del Estado de California (SCAF) desde 1994, habiendo sido miembro de los comités de voluntarios y de relaciones públicas, y como subdirector división del sur. Se sienta en varias organizaciones locales, incluyendo el Consejo de Protección de Bomberos del Condado de Santa Barbara, los Tres Condados de Responsables de Capacitación de la Asociación, De Santa Barbara capítulo de CAER y es miembro fundador del grupo de Santa Bárbara PIO Emergencia Información Pública Comunicaciones (ÉPICO). Ha sido el autor de muchos artículos y columnista de un periódico local en materia de seguridad pública. Él es también el co-anfitrión de alerta comunitaria sobre KZSB AM-1290 en Santa Bárbara. Williams ha sido miembro de la Junta de Servicios de Bomberos del Estado de California desde 2008. Antes de involucrarse en el servicio de bomberos voluntarios, Williams era un oficial de policía de California para 12 ½ años y un Oficial de Entrenamiento de Campo Correo Certificado. Él es un investigador privado con licencia y consultor de seguridad especializada en auto asegurado, asignaciones de defensa del gobierno y de seguros.


Artículos relacionados

Legislator witnesses realities of today’s home fires

Por nfpa@jiveon.com NFPA, la Cruz Roja Americana, Visión 20/20, and a team of other safety experts and organizations recently convened

Practice makes a difference when fire strikes home of fire safety educator

By Lisa Braxton Ben Hammond, a firefighter in Arkansas with the Little Rock Fire Department and a volunteer with the

New outdoor entertaining webpage highlights fire safety from setting the table to decorating landscapes

By LisaMarie Sinatra Warm balmy nights, food Did you know? NFPA is now a regular content contributor for Martha Stewart