Traducción

Fire runs for one department had a familiar ring

título

Por Lisa Braxton

During a four-hour span last Tuesday, a fire department in Georgia something in common: they all happened in people’s kitchens. Gwinnett County firefighters responded at 9:40 a.m. to a report of an apartment fire in Norcross. Crews found a small fire on the stove that was smoldering on arrival. Firefighters quickly put the fire out. The fire caused minor damage to the stovetop and a pot of grease that was left unattended.

At 10:52 a.m. firefighters responded to a report of a house fire in Buford. Crews found a small fire in the oven that was smoldering on arrival. The fire was contained to debris in the oven and was quickly put out by firefighters. The fire caused minor damage to the appliance and sent light smoke throughout the house. The fire appeared accidental and was sparked by debris ignited during preheating.

Just three hours later firefighters responded to a house fire in Lawrenceville. Crews found light smoke on arrival and a small fire in the kitchen. The fire appeared to be accidental and was sparked by food left unattended on the stove.

Needless to say, Gwinnett County fire officials are reminding the public to use safe cooking practices. “These types of incidents are an important reminder of the fact that proper cooking practices and kitchen fire safety are paramount,” said Gwinnett Fire Captain Tommy Rutledge.

Cooking fires are the number one cause of home fires and home injuries.

Here’s what you need to know:

  • Keep an eye on what you fry
  • Be alert when cooking
  • Keep things that can catch fire away from cooking area Cooking Fire Safety Central on the NFPA website, along with the cooking safety tips sheet and the toolkit on cooking safety provide additional resources.

Fuente:: NFPA – Información de seguridad


Artículos relacionados

Get to know Fire Preventon Week with new video

By Lisa Braxton It just got a little easier to learn about new resources from NFPA to help you make

¿Debería la gente dormir con la puerta abierta o cerrada para proteger mejor a sí mismos en un incendio en el hogar

Should you sleep with your bedroom door opened or closed? It’s a straightforward question, but the answer isn’t quite so

A grand slam day for fire safety in Ontario

By Lisa Braxton More than 40,000 school-age children across greater Toronto and Ontario waved their fire safety banners at the