Traducción

Fire runs for one department had a familiar ring

título

Por Lisa Braxton

During a four-hour span last Tuesday, a fire department in Georgia something in common: they all happened in people’s kitchens. Gwinnett County firefighters responded at 9:40 a.m. to a report of an apartment fire in Norcross. Crews found a small fire on the stove that was smoldering on arrival. Firefighters quickly put the fire out. The fire caused minor damage to the stovetop and a pot of grease that was left unattended.

At 10:52 a.m. firefighters responded to a report of a house fire in Buford. Crews found a small fire in the oven that was smoldering on arrival. The fire was contained to debris in the oven and was quickly put out by firefighters. The fire caused minor damage to the appliance and sent light smoke throughout the house. The fire appeared accidental and was sparked by debris ignited during preheating.

Just three hours later firefighters responded to a house fire in Lawrenceville. Crews found light smoke on arrival and a small fire in the kitchen. The fire appeared to be accidental and was sparked by food left unattended on the stove.

Needless to say, Gwinnett County fire officials are reminding the public to use safe cooking practices. “These types of incidents are an important reminder of the fact that proper cooking practices and kitchen fire safety are paramount,” said Gwinnett Fire Captain Tommy Rutledge.

Cooking fires are the number one cause of home fires and home injuries.

Here’s what you need to know:

  • Keep an eye on what you fry
  • Be alert when cooking
  • Keep things that can catch fire away from cooking area Cooking Fire Safety Central on the NFPA website, along with the cooking safety tips sheet and the toolkit on cooking safety provide additional resources.

Fuente:: NFPA – Información de seguridad


Artículos relacionados

NFPA and Domino’s kick off 8th annual campaign with Detroit Fire Department

By Susan McKelvey Judy Comoletti, manager of NFPA’s public education division, is attended by Detroit Fire Department’s Captain Christopher Dixon

Canadian edition of Learn Not to Burn is now available

By Lisa Braxton In time for Fire Prevention Week 2015, Fire Safety Canada, in conjunction with the Council of Canadian